Monday, July 14, 2014

Sustrans design guides.

I think what gets my attention about this guide is that while it has a great deal of information about tactics it has very little about strategy. By strategy I mean tools to help predict which cycle routes would be popular.



I think the other part I object to is the width of the road. Personally, I think if you provide a 3 m wide cycle path then the temptation is to attract traffic on to it. You are certainly also less tempted to include the cycle track through some natural area if it is really that large. A cycle path only has to be about 30cm to 40 cm. This would encourage pedestrians to stay off it.



Naturally SUSTRANS have the job of supporting cyclists and pedestrians.  I still think they need to get serious and think about cycling as more than a recreational activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment